ARTS AND CULTURE
OLD ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH - located at Rizal Street, the church is of Romanesque type of architecture. It is 30.70 meters wide and 38.5 meters long with massive walls made of limestone blocks. It has a church tower measuring 30 meters high and a belfry. Before its renovation, the church has five (5) altars- one main altar and four (4) side altars. Beneath the choir stand is the main door.
The original church was made of materials available at the time of its construction. The walls two meters thick are made of limestone blocks believed to have been transported from Guimaras. G.I. sheets with plywood ceiling replaced the roof. The brick flooring was replaced with tiles.
The five (5) big bells dated 1867, 1878, 1871 and 1876 which was recently taken from the belfry is now on display at the front of the church convent though the effort of Monsignor Ramon Tirania.
BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY
Hinigaran is basically a coastal town with land area of 15,492 hectares and a budding population of 74,997 as of May 2000 census of population.
It is rich of natural resources. Noted for its delicious Talaba (oyster) , seafoods, shell crafts and pyrotechnics manufacturing. Hinigaran has beautiful beach resorts that provide a place for recreation and fitting respite for tourist and those whose lifestyle and work schedules were fast and hectic.
Being centrally located at the southern portion of the province almost all roads lead to Hinigaran. It is traversed by hard surface road from Canla-on City. Buses from Dumaguete via Mabinay vice versa regularly ply the route. La Carlota City is only about half an hour ride. People from Isabela and Magallon take a shortcut via Hinigaran and regular buses from Hinoba-an down to Kabankalan and Ilog to Bacolod pass the town.
This strategic location is the prime factor that spurred a vigorous trade and commerce in the locality. Many ambulant vendors and consumers from other municipalities can be observed during market days.
Two landlines (RC Yulo (PLDT) and Globelines) and four (4) cell sites of the mobile telephones for phone services, while the Equitable PCIB and the newly opened RCBC will cater to the banking needs of the people.
The municipal government to ensure that the power and water would be readily available, a very basic ingredient for possible investment has installed a new pumping station at Pahilanga to augment that of Narauis. And that 100% of the barangays and 98% of sitios are energized.
Having a strong, stable, responsive and hardworking officials and employees, prospective investors are assured of ready assistance, support and protection on their investment portfolio in the Municipality of Hinigaran.
The public market is situated at the northeast section of the poblacion. It has a
total land area of about Seven Thousand Two Hundred Seventy Two (7,272) Square Meters more or less. It is bounded by Lopez-Jaena Street in the north where meat and fish sections are located; by Lagtapon Street in the south, C.S. Aguilar St..in the east where the groceries and dry goods sections are located and Luna Street in the west where other specialty shops like farm and household items could be found. In the middle of this complex is the cereal and vegetable section and some other dry goods shop. Transient and ambulant vendors occupy the sidewalk along Aguilar Street which also serves as the “bagsakan area”
The market is open throughout the week but Thursdays and Sundays are special market days where additional semi-regular transient and ambulant vendors converge from all over Negros to sell their wares. They occupy the whole Aguilar Street and Lagtapon Street boundaries of the market, which is closed on traffic on those days. The volume of activity in the market is such that the complex could not accommodate so that these streets are used instead.
The municipality has now a New Public Market Building Phase I along R.C. Lagtapon and Luna Sts. which was inaugurated last February 12, 2005. While most of the buildings are circa 1950 except for the outer building along Aguilar Street which was improved about 35 years ago. The LGU is preparing a plan for the construction of the New Public Market Building phase II on this site.
(continued next page... please click the left or right arrow below...)